Monday, June 28, 2010

Evan's Birth Day

Over the past year I have often thought about the week I spent in the hospital prior to Evan's birth. I feel so lucky that Evan is a healthy happy baby considering everything he went though before he arrived. Here is how Evan entered the world!!
On June 15, 2009 about 10 am I was admitted to the hospital with preterm labor. Once admitted I was told if the contractions stopped I could be in the hospital about 48 hrs. After a few hours in the hospital we realized I would be staying until Evan arrived. We called my mom to have her fly to Phoenix. We wanted someone to take care of Alex and I needed my mom. To stop the contractions I was given nifedipine and when this didn't work I was given terbutaline. Wes was at home taking care of Alex and he brought him by in the afternoon. It helped cheer me up to see him!! Neither of these drugs seemed to be working so it was decided it was time to bring out the "big guns" Magnesium sulfate. I was told all of the side effects that could potentially happen but at this point we had to stop the contractions. I was only 32 weeks pregnant. I was also given steroid injections to help mature his lungs in case he did arrive early. Around 6 pm I was put on the "mag." It wasn't until later that evening that I started feeling the effects. I have to say that this is the worst drug in the world! I could hardly move my body. By later that evening the contractions had slowed down but now I was dilated to 4-5 cm. My mom and Abby were at the hospital with me. Abby stayed with me the first night and I can't thank her enough for all of her help. I would remain on the magnesium for 48 hrs. This is the protocol and then take me off the medicine and see what happens. On Tuesday I received another dose of steroids for his lungs. My dad came in town on Tuesday to help with Alex since my mom was on double duty. She would stay with Alex during the day and take care of me in the hospital at night. Things seemed under control until I came off the medicine on Wednesday. I was told there was basically a 50/50 chance that the contractions could start again once the magnesium was stopped. Only a few hours after the medicine was stopped I started contracting again. It seemed like every hour I was given a different medicine to help control everything. I was hoping to stay pregnant as long as I could. Any extra day was a bonus to Evan. My parents brought Alex by to see me on Wednesdsay. I had missed him so much but I knew he was in good hands.
On Thursday I was put on a terbutaline pump. It is kind of like an insulin pump and it delivers the medicine every hour and then if addition medicine is needed the nurses would push a button. It seemed to help but I would get really shaky from the medicine. Thursday and Friday were spent chasing contractions!!! With all of the contractions that I was having I really wasn't feeling many of them until Saturday. I kept telling the nurses that the contractions were getting stronger. But I wasn't dilating any more. But now Evan seemed to show some distress when I was having contractions. So by late afternoon on Saturday I was put back on the magnesium. This time it was for Evan not for me. We didn't want him getting tired with all of the contractions. I kept asking the doctor how quickly he could get Evan out if he needed to and he reassured me that he could get him out fast if he showed signs of trouble. During all of this Abby and Tri were having an engagement party on Saturday night. After I was put on the "Mag" and I seemed stable my parents decided to go home. Carly came to stay with me while Wes was at home with Alex. She was sitting on the bed with me when my water broke. I don't think she was there 30 minutes before this happened. She ran out and got the doctor and thank goodness he was there because Evan was ready. I kept telling the doctor to take care of Evan. By now I was 33 weeks pregnant. I knew the potential complications of a preterm baby so I was scared!! I just wanted him to be ok. 10 minutes after my water broke Evan arrived!! And he was healthy!! Hearing his first cry made me feel better. He was taken to the NICU and was doing well without oxygen. All of this happened so fast that Wes wasn't able to get to the hospital in time for his birth. As soon as he arrived he went to the NICU to see Evan. Once I was moved to a post partum room I was taken to the NICU to see him too. I had been a pediatric nurse for 10 years and I haven taken care of a lot of kids but nothing prepared me for seeing him. He looked tiny but he was doing really well. I was told he would be in the NICU about 3 -4 weeks.

On Sunday morning I woke up and showered and felt so much better. Wes spent his first Father's day with Evan in the NICU. It was hard not having him in the room with me but I knew we were lucky especially after hearing stories from other parents that had babies in the NICU. I think by Sunday night Evan had started eating some of his bottle on his own. This was unusual for a baby his gestational age. He continued to do well!! On Monday I went home. It was so difficult leaving. But I knew that the doctors and nurses were going to take great care of him.
During the week I would drive to the hospital and try to stay for 2 feedings. Everyone was taking such great care of Alex so I knew I needed to spend time with Evan. Each day Evan seemed to eat more and more and was doing extremely well.
On Sunday Wes and I went to see Evan and we were told he would be going home on Monday. We were shocked!! He had been eating well and was over his jaundice but we thought we would have to stay a few more days. We spent the next few hours shopping and getting the house ready!! I just wanted him home.
On monday June 29 we took Evan home from the NICU. It was a special day!! I felt so lucky. I had a healthy baby despite everything that happened. I had a baby that was supposed to be in the hospital 3-4 weeks and he was going home after 9 days. To me he is a miracle!! We love you so much baby "Eban" and you make our lives a complete joy everyday!! This was how you entered the world.....
I can't thank my family and friends enough for supporting us!! You encouraged me throughout the week and continued your support when Evan was in the NICU!! To Abby- thank you for staying with me at the hospital. You helped me brush my teeth and let me talk your ear off in the middle of the night even when I didn't know what I was talking about. To my mom-
Thank you for staying with me in the hospital and taking care of Alex throughout the week. It made it easier knowing everyone was taking excellent care of him. You also listened to me talk in the middle of the night and I know you were exhausted from the day. To my dad- you flew here early to help take care of Alex. You are the best! To Kevin, Jocelyn and Connor- Thank you for watching Alex the morning I was admitted to the hospital. I knew Alex was in good hands while I was gone and until Wes was able to come home. We were looking forward to your visit and we are sorry we didn't get to spend much time with you while you were in town. To Bruce and Judy for keeping me company during the day. I felt better knowing that someone was with me in case something would have happened. I didn't have much to laugh about during the week but for some reason we thought the maintenance man fixing the tv was so funny. It took him longer to walk to the tv than it did to fix it! To Carly- I can't thank you enough for being with me when Evan was born. It was the scariest moment in my life and you made it easier for me. You are an amazing friend and the best god mother Evan could ask for. To Wes- I know you were as scared as me but you managed to stay calm during the week. You tried to make me feel better and kept positive! You eased my stress by taking the best care of Alex and you even took him to his music class at Gymboree! I love you so much!!

No comments: